Post Surgical FAQ
Post Surgical FAQ
What do you offer?
1. We offer the highest level of Post Operative Recovery Care, administered by well seasoned, properly credentialed and licensed practitioners in a sanitary, serene environment. Our therapists carry Certified Lymphedema Therapist or Certified Manual Lymphatic Drainage Therapist credentials earned at only the best, LANA accredited institutions. We require our therapists to have received live, hands on training only - we do not hire therapists that have received online training offered by fly by night "certificate factory" programs.
2. We offer pre-op Prehab sessions geared toward preparing your body for your upcoming procedure.
3. We offer virtual and in person Pre-Operative Consultations to prepare you for your upcoming procedure and optimize your outcome. You will be taught to build a Recovery Nest, guided in what items to purchase and what not to waste your resources on, and post-op self care.
4. We offer Compression Garment Guidance in which garments are best for you and can measure you to ensure the correct fit.
5. We offer Treatment for Fibrosis and Scar Tissue including manual lymphatic drainage, myofascial release, scar tissue mobilization, vibration and the use of medical grade texturized foam and custom made "chip pads".
Am I required to book a consultation prior to treatment?
No. It's optional.
What is your treatment protocol?
Our treatment protocol is simple: we respond to the unique needs of each client.
How many massages do I need after my procedure?
There is absolutely no way for any therapist or doctor to predict how many sessions you will need after any procedure. Every body responds differently to the procedure(s) received. This is why we approach each client as a completely unique case with needs that are specific to the individual. With that said, we do not "overtreat" our clients. We do not "require" clients to come every day, nor do we try to "lock in" our clients to packages or contracts. We meet each client where they are, and accompany them on their recovery journey as long as they need us. Our goal is always to get you looking and feeling your best and back to living your best life as quickly as possible.
How soon after surgery can I begin treatment?
As soon as your surgeon clears you to begin. If your surgeon offers no specific timeline, then we leave it up to you. As soon as you feel ready to begin, whether it's 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months post op, we're here for you.
What procedures have you treated?
All of them. With 18 years in the wellness and medical fields, our founder has treated everything from traumatic brain injury patients fresh out of neurosurgery, orthopedics, caesarian section, cardiothoracic surgery, to lymphedema and lipedema. We have experience in virtually every plastic surgery procedure including face lift, rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, platysmaplasty, mastectomy, mastopexy, breast augmentation and reduction, panniculectomy, abdominoplasty, torsoplasty, brachioplasty, thighplasty, liposuction, fat grafting, back lift, gluteal implants, BBL and BBL reversal.
Is it ever too late to receive post op care?
Nope. We still see improvements in post op results when clients begin treatment many months, even years after having surgery.
Do you sell packages?
No. We do not presently sell packages or memberships. First, we strive to differentiate ourselves from the massage franchises, big corporations and practices that seek to capitalize on your fears and vulnerability after having a procedure. We do not sell packages or memberships because we are an outcome based, not income based practice. We focus not on maximizing sales and revenue but on catering to the unique recovery needs of each of our clients. We are here for you as long or as briefly as you need us. We find that having an ethical, client centered business model serves us very well!
Whose patients have you treated?
One of our maxims is "Confidentiality at All Times". We don't name drop because we don't need to. Our work speaks for itself. With that said, we have treated the patients of surgeons from all over the world including many "high profile" New York, New Jersey, and LA surgeons. We have treated rock stars, models, CEOs, doctors, lawyers, television writers and producers, dancers, designers and countless moms! After working in the entertainment business for 15 years, our founder understands how important it is for VIPs to be able to fly under the radar. Regardless of who you are or what you have had done... your privacy is safe with us.
Will my post op treatment hurt? Do I need to take painkillers before I come in?
NO. We practice Vodder Manual Lymphatic Drainage. This is a gentle technique meant to facilitate the reduction of swelling, bruising and pain. That said, to break up fibrosis, cording or or scar tissue, we will use more pressure as needed when you are further along in your recovery.
Will you "drain" me by pushing the fluid out of my incisions?
NO. That is not lymphatic drainage. True MLD moves the edema OUT of your tissues and INTO your lymphatic system and you will pee it out.
Will you drain my seroma with a needle, remove my sutures or drains, or poke my incisions to "drain" me?
NO. It is not within the scope of practice for any licensed massage therapist in any of the states in this country to engage in these practices. If you require a higher level of care, we are happy to refer you to properly trained medical personnel.
Will you do post op massage over my faja?
NO. This is not a safe or effective practice. If you can not or will not remove your faja, then we ask you to schedule your session at a later time so we can maximize the efficacy of your treatment.
How soon after giving birth can I receive lymphatic drainage?
As soon as you feel ready after vaginal birth and as soon as your OB clears you after a c-section.
Is Mend a trans/LGBTQI/nonbinary friendly practice?
Absolutely! Whether you've had brow bossing or bottom surgery, we are here for you! At Mend, you can rest assured that you will receive your post-op care in a safe and loving environment.